01 April 2013

The Big Camp NaNoWriMo Freak-Out

So in that mammoth post the other day on what I've been doing with myself lately I somehow completely forgot to mention the part where I'm doing a 50,000-word novel and a 100-page script for Camp NaNoWriMo in April.

Yes, you read that right -- a script and a novel.

The novel will be my eleventh (since 2008). The script is supposed to be a TV script (though that may make a last-minute jump to either radio script or screenplay since I have no experience writing TV scripts, or even watching TV for that matter).

I haven't been this underprepared for a NaNoWriMo event in a long, long time. I also seem to be way more concerned about the fact that I have no plot than I usually am. Usually the clock slips over to midnight on the first of the chosen month and I open Pages and go, "Okay... Plot." It seems to work -- I've written ten novels (won nine) with that technique.

However, musical preparation is going beautifully. Of course, I don't have the money to buy some of the albums I'd still like to have (especially for the script), but I've got a good chunk of new stuff to plow through, plus, of course, classicchristian247.com. I also finally broke down and signed up for YouTube. I've spent almost every night since adding more stuff to playlists until I can track down (and afford to pay for) the albums.

And now it's synopsis time!

Summer Of Love (the novel)
This is a story about two cousins trying to get their estranged grandparents to fall in love again in the summer of 1994.

The Fringe (the script)
This is the one that has no 'real' plot. All I've got is that it follows the exploits of Cherry Wilson, a seventeen-year-old who's sent to spend the summer of 1984 with her aunt and uncle on the west coast. She's used to spending her summers with her friends in suburban Toronto. This was not part of her plan.
When she arrives in Vancouver, she's further jaded by the news that her aunt and uncle expect her to help run their little music shop/café. To make matters worse, the patrons are largely Christians.
Convinced her summer is shot, Cherry begrudgingly takes up her post behind the till at The Fringe within two days of her arrival, to spend a full two and a half months listening to a bunch of Christians trying to convert her.
There, she meets a rogues' gallery in the Christian youth group that meets there and is witness to all their shenanigans.
That seems like a lot, but I'm not sure how to script this. Most of this project is almost guaranteed to be my characters geeking out over music (because, you know, none of my other writing projects turn out that way anyway).

And now, back to writing! Update forthcoming either later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

No comments: