08 February 2013

Music Day

I haven't posted anything in over a week. Can you tell I'm coming off a creative-deadline month? Right now I'm at that crash point where I don't want to do anything creative -- no writing, no choreography, no photography, no nothing, just sit and... I don't even know what. Listen to music and daydream about the next fantastic piece of choreography, mostly.

I re-discovered this song a couple weeks ago when it was played on classicchristian247.com. I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics at the time, but I remembered the tune from my childhood. That soaring vocal in the chorus...

So I went to iTunes and holy crap, they actually have it available!

Before I buy a song, I Google the lyrics -- even if it's a 'Christian' song. Labeling your song a 'Christian' song is a really fantastic way to indoctrinate Christian music fans with all sorts of hackneyed and questionable-at-best theology. Most Christians won't pay attention to the content, and even if they did, most of us don't read our Bibles enough to have a hope of spotting the errors (at best) or blatant lies about the Lord (at worst). You can never be too careful.

So anyway, I Googled the lyrics and as I'm reading them I'm silently screaming, 'Yes! Yes! Yes!'

This is exactly the song we should make our anthem, especially here in Canada. Because despite what our national anthem says, we are no longer truly free. And we are just sitting here on our lazy butts and taking it!

Now, I'm not really a fan of this band. I can only take the lead singer's voice for about ten minutes before I go find something else (*cough* Rick Florian). But this song is spot-on. These guys got it.

And it would do this planet a world of good of a lot more people got it too.

Title: For Future Generations
Artist: 4Him
Album: The Ride
Year: 1994
Label: Benson Records
iTunes here; YouTube here.

I won't bend and I won't break
I won't water down my faith
I won't compromise
In a world of desperation
What has been I cannot change
But for tomorrow and today
I must be a light
For future generations...

No comments: