22 September 2012

Music Day

Yes I know, I missed Music Day. I had it all planned out too... but last night when I was supposed to write it I felt like crap, so it's a day late. (Incidentally, did you know that it's possible to experience salt withdrawal? Apparently it is. Methinks I should re-evaluate my eating habits.)

So I finally gave up on the bookstore and ordered the new Lecrae album from his website. The CD is still on its way, but I purchased the package that includes a free MP3 download (it was the same price as the CD-only and it was killing me that I hadn't heard it yet).

Let me get this out there right now -- this is a phenomenal album. Musically, it's on par with anything else out there. Very creative. It's obvious they put a lot of time and effort into it -- very refreshing, especially when you think about every other genre covered by 'Christian' artists (the same cookie-cutter acoustic guitar chords for thirteen songs in a row, anyone?). Seriously, though. Good stuff.

It should probably come as no surprise that Gravity (the track) is one of my favourites -- it's got kind of a retro video-game vibe (or maybe it's just me).

Free From It All hit me pretty deep. It reminds me of me, just it's not huge crowds that love me as long as I'm perfect... it's those who should love me unconditionally. It's frightening, in a way. And this song captures it so well.

Fakin' always makes me think of this one Calvin and Hobbes strip -- where Calvin asks his mom for money to buy a devil-worshipping, suicide-advocating heavy metal album, and his mom says, "Calvin, the only reason these bands haven't killed themselves in ritual self-sacrifice proves that they're just in it for the money like everyone else." (I hope that quote isn't copyright infringement.)

I personally find the tracks Violence and Mayday kind of annoying, but I think those are a little bit too modern for my ears. If you're into the current secular sound, these will probably really appeal to you. (Confe$$ions probably would fall into that category as well.)

And Buttons? Gah. Most adorable song ever. Mrs Lecrae is a very lucky woman.

I like the intro to I Know. It's... cute, almost (I realise I just alienated all the serious rap fans out there). Actually, I really like the music throughout the whole thing, especially the sound effects like you hear at the end. Lecrae's really feeling the rhythm here.

Lucky Ones. This one almost became today's featured song. Just listen to it. It's a beautiful song.

And now, for today's 'official' song...

Title: Falling Down
Artist: Lecrae
Album: Gravity
Year: 2012
Label: Reach Records
iTunes here; YouTube here.

Trip Lee is definitely on his game here. I like his part in this. Also, I like the part in the hook where Lecrae (finally) comes in -- I see the sky falling... and ain't no way to stop it...

Actually, it almost sounds like kind of a downer song (it's more of a warning than anything else -- reminds me of 2 Corinthians 5:20), but it's so catchy.

No comments: