16 January 2017

Day 16 - National Choreography Month

Well, so far I have accomplished exactly one full dance this month. It's not even anything off the choreography-in-progress list -- this was a totally new piece, start to finish. It was one of those that you end up kind of sneaking up on, you know? I had a practice session planned at the local studio over the weekend, so while waiting I listened to the song, just for fun. By the time I had to leave for the studio, I had the whole thing figured out except the second verse, which I worked out during practice. The whole thing start-to-finish took me maybe two hours. It's been a long while since a dance came to me that fast.

Today I was in the studio again. (It's really quite a luxury to have easy access to a dance studio for my personal use rather than just for classes. I love it.) I still didn't create anything new, really, but I got rehearsal footage of a few dances I created over 2016 (Rift, Shades Of Green And Red, and Big Dreams), plus I tried a new thing -- improv. I've never really done improv, for two reasons: 1. lack of space, 2. lack of desire/courage. I don't know if I'm going to actually commit to finishing that improvised piece this month, but the song (DA's infectious The Man That Can't Be Mentioned) is just so much fun to dance to so I thought I would give it a try. I feel like I'm not mentally ready to commit to choreographing that piece. It needs to percolate a bit first. I've been doing this long enough now that I can sense when something is ready to be choreographed and when it needs to stay in incubation until further notice.

Haven't touched any of the pieces that were on my works-in-progress-to-finish list though. Maybe tomorrow... I hope to spend a lot more time in the practice studio this semester.

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Sarah Kate. I am a Pastor rom Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your pro ile on the blogger and the blog post. I was quite encouraged to go through your post on National Choreography Month and how you worked out a dance on the song in the studio. May you excel in your Choreography (dancing) to gloriy God through your Choreography. I am blessed and eel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and your interest through your pro ile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people o God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying or one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry or last 37 yrs in this great city o Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest o rich and the poorest o poor live. We reachout to the poorest o poor with the love o Christ tobring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults rom the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your riends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a li e changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com andmy name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking orward to hear rom you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your amily and riends. Also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered New year. Note. The key o one letter is not working and you will ind perticular letter missing.