31 January 2022

Day 31 - National Choreography Month

My unofficial goal going into the month was three pieces, all for one specific show. I also intended to use Nachmo to get a head start on my personal goal of fourteen completed pieces this year.

Last night I finished off the third dance of the month, thereby achieving both of my goals. I choreographed every single day this month and I intend to keep that momentum going for the rest of the year (haven't decided yet if I'm going to take November off or not). Two of those pieces were ballet solos and one was a tap duet (it's a show with only two characters, and they don't share the stage often).

I'm perhaps most proud of the first one. It's one that's been incubating for at least a year now, so I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. I was absolutely chomping at the bit to start it on the first, and I think that's definitely the strongest piece I did this month. The second one I felt was not bad, perhaps a little slow (it was a slower song to try to do a tap piece to), but I think it helped me develop some characterisation. I meant for it to be a light and fun piece, so I deliberately tried to avoid doing too many tricks (a very bad habit of mine). The third one was kind of an 'oh crap, I finished the last piece and don't know what to do now' piece. It's got potential, but I'll have to take a break and revisit it before I'll know if I'm truly happy with it. That piece felt the most 'made-up' and random out of the three, which makes me think it'll probably be the least strong piece thematically (though I did borrow a couple of elements from the first song for continuity, seeing as they're both supposed to be in the same show. It won't save the piece if it's crap, but at least I attempted to be more intentional about what I was doing).

I wasn't able to get into the studio at all, and only managed one tap dance practice at my in-laws, so I wasn't able to post much footage, but that was weirdly okay with me. This is a show I'm very seriously wanting to produce so I'm deliberately keeping it close to my chest for now -- no spoilers.

My goal going forward is to continue to choreograph every day, as well as to finish out 2022 with fourteen (or more) new pieces. Three down, eleven more to go. That's one per month for the rest of the year.  I'm now at 110 pieces choreographed in the past nine years and eight months, and I'm on pace to hit 114 by the ten-year mark. Maybe I'll try to hit 115 by then. If I continue choreographing half a verse or so every day as I have been doing this month, that shouldn't be too difficult.

No comments: